By Kiara Bean, Correspondent
There are many recipes for cooking meals with meat as part of the main dish. However, for those who are looking for a break from meat, or who just don’t like meat altogether, here’s a vegetable-friendly option.
1/2 cup black beans
1/2 cup rice (any rice works)
1/2 head of red cabbage
1 cup corn
1 cup pre-cut lettuce (any lettuce works)
1 bunch cilantro
Oil (any oil works)
Salt (to taste)
- Wash the black beans and drain. In a quart pot, cover the beans with water. Add salt. Bring to a boil and then lower the heat to low medium. Cook for about 2 hours, checking sporadically and adding water as needed. Make sure the beans are always covered in water.
- In another quart pot, bring to a boil 1 cup of water. Add salt and rice. Cook on very low heat for about 25 minutes.
- Cut the red cabbage into strings. In a large frying pan, add oil and the cut red cabbage. Add salt to taste. Cook for about 30 minutes on medium heat.
- Thaw the frozen corn.
- Cut the tomatoes into small pieces.
- Once the beans, rice, and red cabbage are cooked, we are ready to stuff our tortillas! I usually start with a layer of rice, red cabbage, and then beans. Then, I add the pre-cut lettuce, corn, and tomatoes. I decorate the top of my burrito with cilantro leaves.
This is the version of the vegetable burrito that I usually make, but there can be different variations based on what vegetables you like. Sometimes, I use cooked spaghetti squash if I have some in my fridge. If there is no red cabbage, I use green cabbage instead. You can also switch the black beans out for some other kind of beans that you prefer. I tried it with brown beans a couple of times, but I decided that I prefer the black beans..
There are also many options for toppings. For example, some members of my family add salsa, sour cream, cheese, or even avocado. If you don’t like cilantro, you can replace it with parsley or another fresh spice that you prefer.
Some people prefer spicy food. If you are looking for that extra kick, try adding pepperoncini, jalapenos, or a spicy salsa. You could also use Chinese cabbage, which will add some spiciness to your vegetable burrito.
This is my favorite food because of the combination of vegetables and rice I use in it. It tastes very good and is very filling. I would definitely give it 5/5 stars.